The Aria Shell is an unusual design for me-- no lace, texture or cable stitch patterns, just stockinette stitch! It does, however, have some unusual construction details. It has a mock-wrap V-neck; the wrap look is achieved by working at attached I-cord trim around the neck edge, then (without breaking the yarn) working an additional length of free I-cord, and sewing it to the front of the shell. The I-cord at the waist is worked as an attached I-cord.
The lower panels overlap at the sides (this shows better in the second photo). They are worked flat, with increases shaping the curved lower edges, and then the ends are overlapped, and the stitches of the overlapping portions are knitted together to connect the panels at the sides. The bodice is then worked in the round to the armholes.
Finishing involves a fair amount of attached I-cord-- not only does it edge the neck opening and define the waist, but also edges the lower panels and the armholes. But I do like the nice clean look it gives.
The Interweave editors chose Berroco Linsey yarn for Aria; it's a cotton/linen blend and well suited for warm weather wear, with a slight sheen, nice drape, and a dry, comfortable hand, perfect for wearing next to the skin. I thought it was interesting that Interweave styled it over another layer for the magazine, and I also noticed that they chose the same color dress as the skirt I used in my photos; brown and aqua is one of those color combos that may seem that it wouldn't work, untll you try it. (Last photo, copyright Interweave Press.) Unfortunately the overlapping panels don't really show in any of Interweave's photos, because those are really my favorite part of this design.
I think I may have to make one of these for myself!