Not much action on my Wyvern Wrap lately, and here is the reason: (see swatch). I had ordered a couple of different colors of RYC Cashsoft DK once I realized I was going to run out of the Trilly, without being quite sure what I was going to do with them. I didn't want to start over with a different yarn, nor start over just so I could insert a contrasting or coordinating yarn at the lower hem (which is where it most logically belongs, if you ask me...but oh well). Nor can I put the new yarn on the ends of the sleeves since they're worked sideways in one piece with the body.
I also didn't want to add the new colors to the fronts because I want to be able to take photos of the finished wrap for the pattern, without the distraction of multiple colors. So this left working the new color(s) into the back somehow, probably in some sort of stripe. And now that I've begun working on the back, it's time to create a more specific plan (in other words, swatch time).
When I started the swatch I realized that if I didn't want the yarn visible at the sleeve ends (since they are self-finished), I would have to keep the first and last two stitches in each row in the main color, which required either using a separate piece of yarn on one end, or stranding the main color--which is why partway up the swatch I started doing the stockinette column in the middle in the main color. I actually like the general effect a lot (for some reason it reminds me of a close-up of a butterfly's wing), and I like the curving of the stripes, but the cream color is too similar in tone to the main color, and the sage color is too dark--the stripes are more pronounced than I want. Both photos are of the same swatch, by the way.
So--I am waiting for more yarn in different colors. This is turning out to be more complicated than I would have liked.