My Savannah Pullover appears in the new Knitscene Spring 2018. It's worked in Berroco Elba, which happens to be the yarn I suggested (doesn't always work that way!), and which I absolutely love-- it's a cotton tape yarn, and the construction gives it a light, airy feel, quite different from a typical plied cotton yarn. The colors are also lovely-- shades range from pale to saturated, but all with a nice heathery finish.
I had been looking at lots of stitch dictionaries upside down, looking for stitch patterns that looked good when worked from the top down, and I found this floral-y one that I realized could also be increased, one horizontal repeat at a time, to form a triangular insert. Here is the swatch and sketch that I sent in with my design proposal:
As you can see I did not go to school for fashion sketching, although I do think the sketch conveys the essential features: wide scooped neck, raglan 3/4 length sleeves, cropped length, and lace detailing. And I was really smitten by the lace pattern (the idea was to to use the mirror image for the other side of the pullover).
Here is a photo of the lace detail from the finished pullover:
And here is a photo of the pullover on Ofelia, my mannequin-- just to make clear that it can be worn on both shoulders.
And now I have a confession to make. After years of designing, I've realized that when making calculations, it is generally best to start at the end and work backwards. For instance, for a bottom up yoked sweater, if you first figure out how many stitches you want in your neckband, taking into account your target finished circumference and any stitch multiples required (i.e. multiple of 4 for 2X2 rib), then you can easily calculate how many yoke decreases you'll need to get from the bottom of the yoke to the neck. AND, if you're trying to write a pattern for lots of sizes, you can juggle the numbers a bit to make the decreases work out evenly. And you can predict issues that might prevent the numbers from working out nicely....
Well, for this pullover, I got all the way to the bottom ribbing, and realized that, although I should have had an even number of stitches between the two lace panels, I had an odd number. This was actually a good thing, because the hem stitch pattern is a 1X1 rib, so it was better to have an odd number of stitches, allowing the front to be centered on a rib. Especially since the lace flows so nicely into the ribbing. I must have placed one of the side markers one stitch off-- oops!
I didn't have the time to reknit the entire pullover from the armholes, so I went ahead and finished it. But I realized that if I had placed the markers correctly, I would have had to decrease a stitch in the center front and back at the beginning of the ribbing, so the rib would be centered. Having to do a decrease was an inelegant solution (compared to just starting out with an odd number of stitches!) that I didn't want to pass on to other knitters, so when I wrote up the pattern, I wrote it so that all of the sizes have an odd number of stitches front and back, BEFORE starting the lace. I also added a note to the Knitscene editors explaining what had happened, because editors don't like having pattern instructions that don't match the sample (and rightly so!). But I felt that in this case, the difference in the sample was minor, and luckily for me, the editors agreed.
So if you are thinking that the lace panels seem to be skewed a bit, well the fact is that with a large gauge, even one stitch off can make a difference (and I think the model photos were styled to make a slight asymmetry appear purposeful). But fear not: if you make your own Savannah, the lace panels will be centered properly!
(First and fourth photos: copyright Interweave / Harper Point)